Monday 19 March 2012

Top 5 Tips for Expats – Making Your Move from the Motherland



Don’t consider yourself as an expat? I got news for you buddy, if you’ve been living in a country for 6 months or more, you sir, are an expat! Congratulations, you’ve successfully branched out from your native country and taken those tentative steps into the unknown.

For many people, making the first move from your homeland is the hardest. Once you’re out travelling, it’s relatively easy to move to other new countries. So here is a quick guide to the hurdles, fears and doubts you might encounter on your way to moving away from your country and how to solve them (or more what works from my experience).

1. One small step for man – Okay, the hardest part is taking the first step. People are all talk about where they want to go in the world, but empty barrels make a lot of noise, and having the get up and go to book your flights is your first milestone. Me? I did it when I was drunk. Deciding to book a one way ticket to Canada, with no job lined up, no one to meet me at the airport and as a solo gal, I needed some Dutch courage. It worked and two months later (after much cursing about how I thought booking it when I was drunk seemed like a good idea at the time) I was on a plane to the Rocky Mountains.

2. Goodbyes – Look, nothing is forever. I hate goodbyes more than anything. There is something I find deeply unsettling feeling that I will never see a person again. But why does anything have to be forever? Who know what’s round the corner (or which flights you’ll book when you’re next drunk). Never say never, and saying goodbye to your friends and family at home is more of a ‘Cya later’ kinda deal.

3. Culture shock – Whether it’s London to Laos or Adelaide to Alberta, you will feel a culture shock. You try to prepare for it (you know that it’s a different country after all), but when it comes to Western travel in particular, sometimes you can anticipate feeling that it’s going to be like home, simply in a different country (and 40 degrees colder). Prepare yourself either way because things are going to be different from what you’re used to. One of the hardest obstacles I found? Not knowing ANYONE. Every face was a stranger. As was I. It took 3months before I started seeing familiar faces. Give it time, you will soon become a local.

4. Work – What?! Working! Yes-siree. Unless you have some mega-savings which will see you through 6+ months of living in a foreign country, chances are you will have to work. Biggest shock? Employment and labour laws. Each varies vastly depending on the country you’re living in; from crappy pay, to your entitled break hours, holiday pay and (hopefully not) dismissal laws, I highly recommend you read up before you start working in a different country, just so you know what to expect and what your rights are.

5. Curse of the Contagious Travel Bug – WARNING – EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS
I only came to live in the Rockies for 6 months. A year and a half later and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to England. The wonderfully giddy feeling of the travel bug soon sets in. My recommendation? EMBRACE IT! Once you’ve made the first leap from home, the world is literally your oyster. Go anywhere, do anything, meet people, fall in love with places, with people and most importantly, laugh. At yourself and everything else.

I’d love to hear you’re expat experiences or if you have any queries of your own as you prepare to embark on a travel adventure, send me a message on Twitter @MeFindingMe.

Much Love,
Jones x

No comments:

Post a Comment