Monday 23 April 2012

What does Summer mean to you?


I can feel it. Resonating in my bones in the same way those old women feel their elbows tingle when it’s going to rain.
I blame my iPod for planting the seed of summer in my mind. Secretly on shuffle, it hit my Summer 2011 playlist.
The memories hit me like a brick wall. The people. The places. The parties. The days spent over-sunning ourselves by the lake. The absolute excess that comes with partying in Banff with an abundance of Palm Bay’s and cans of Kokanee. The insanely busy days at work followed by the indulgence of doing whatever the hell you feel like afterwards. Bocce in the park, baseball at the rec grounds, BBQ's on the lawn. Meeting hundreds of people. Talking to everyone. Swapping stories and expanding your mind, morals and opinions. Summer's like those make the world feel a lot smaller.
One of my best memories from last summer was late one summers evening. I'd unintentionally found myself sitting fireside by a serene lake, surrounded by the best friends I'd ever made watching the sun set behind the Rocky mountains. It was in that single moment that I had a sense of overwhelming realisation that I'd achieved everything I'd ever set out do while traveling. It was a complete soul defining moment. My sense of pride in myself rose up in my chest until I thought I would burst.

The best way to describe a summer if Banff is a cross between living in Never-Never Land and The Never Ending Story…but with a lot more alcohol. With a whopping 16hrs of sun, the days last forever. June, July and August are the peak tourist season, whereby the population of the town grows by a couple thousand as visitors influx from across the globe. Days are spent slogging it out at work to keep the customers happy. Come clock-off time, the backpackers and locals alike hit the lakes, trails and open road to play in the National Park. Needless to say my memories of long summer days are countless, and my memories of the nights are, well hazy.
For a small town, Banff knows how to party. With three nightclubs and a myriad of bars, you're never stuck for a night out. Come the warmer weather, the locals seem to emerge from the crevasses where they have been holed-up all winter. They surface, still as friendly as ever and ready to meet and party with complete strangers like they have been lifelong friends.
The bonds formed with others over such a summer are ones many travellers feel across the world. Memories are shared that can never be forgotten and friendships are formed for life.
While summer 2011 is long gone, nothing can take the memories away from us. And so, it will forever be ours. And your own way, yours too.
Who knows what summer 2012 will hold install for me. My mind is free and the road is open. Now pass me the sunscreen, I’m going to the lake.
For now,
Jones x

No comments:

Post a Comment