Monday 16 April 2012

Banff's Ski Season Finale Begins - Seeing Mt. Norquay off in Style


Yesterday saw the last day of the ski season for one of Banff’s best ski hills.
Mt. Norquay is known as Banff’s backyard ski hill; a mere 10 minute drive from downtown Banff, boasting 28 runs across 190 acres of terrain and home to Banff’s only tubing park.
Their last day of the season had a fantastic vibe to it, the sort you used to get on the last day of school. The staff were giddy and conditions were great! They had received a dump of fresh powder overnight and by morning, Alberta’s famous blue skies had appeared to see them off into summer.
Now many die-hard snowboarders clamour to claim the coveted title of ‘Last Chair of the Season’. As I’m quite obviously a pro when it comes to the ski hill, I aimed for the last ‘Tube’ of the season.
Sick ride, man!
Kick-back as you and your inner-tube are towed up the hill to the start point. Brace yourself as the tube park attendees (tanned, Aussie blokes, of course) position you on the very edge of the drop and grip on tightly as you speed and spin your way down the 60ft slope!
Hurtling down the hill the first time I found I hadn’t quite braced myself for the ride that ensued! I’d quickly lost my hat in the G-Force inducing spinning process and found I couldn’t stand up once I’d reached the bottom, much to the amusement of the tube park attendees who encouraged me to run forwards as soon as I stood up and made fun of my Bridget Jones style hair-do. I bring it on myself.
You can't help feeling giddy as you race back to the start to do it all over again! My #1 Tip is definitely don't eat and tube, or you'll be making an awful mess down the slope!
I can’t wait for Mt. Norquay to open their tubing park again next season. I’ll be first in line with inner-tube (and my hat) in hand.
I’ll be hitting Banff’s two other ski hills, Lake Louise and Sunshine Village as much as I can before Banff's ski season ends on May21st, to shred some serious pow/faceplant down the mountain. Expect an upcoming blog and crazy photos on the annual Sunshine Village, end of season slush-cup!
For now,
Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment